Skip to main content

An Apology to My Inner Critic

Dear Inner Critic,

It feels weird to call you dear when I've been antagonizing you my entire life; when in fact any motivational video that I've come across has only lectured me to ignore you and prove you wrong.
 
I loved ignoring you because you just seem to pop out of nowhere to be my personalized buzz kill. 

I loved proving you wrong because it weirdly boosts my ego, for me to tell "I told you I was right" to a voice that always tells me this dialog (mini revenge).

But you know what, Covid has hit the world and locked me up in self isolation and I fell into the world of personal development (because why not?). And I have made amazing progress to say the least but I seem to be having a major stumbling point when it comes to "compassion" - the art of having concern for the misfortune of others and being willing to look beyond their flaws - with people who I have felt hurt by (obviously including you). 

I mean, I can have compassion for people who have done nothing against me, but I find it hard to forgive those who have put me down, trash talked me & violated my boundaries (especially you). 

It seems unfathomable for me to even consider you to be anything more than this hypercritical and judgmental monster that you seem to be to me.

I took some time to pause and reflect here, trying to put to use the lessons I had learnt in compassion, trying to see you from a fresh perspective. 

And I did. 

I saw you for who you really, truly were, this hypersensitive, fearful, anxiety ridden voice that only had the intention to look out for me and ensure I didn't end up getting hurt.

Looking back to all those times when your voice was too overwhelming to ignore, looking back to those times when I did (and didn't) listen to you, 
I realise that most of the traumatic incidents that have happened in my life would not have happened, had I listened to you (but some of those incidents happened only because I listened to your irrational point of view).

You are the manifestation of all my fears and you have been programmed to primarily make sure I don't go near those fears, which are: fear of being alone (hell-o quarantine), fear of being abandoned (hellew isolation), fear of being judged (hello Instagram), fear of the unknown (hello 2020) and fear of loss of control (hello Corona!). Ironically, I had to face all of my fears within the first 6 months of this year, which, as it turns out, are not really as bad as you had made it to be.

Now, at the end of the day, whether I like it or not, you are definitely a part of me; a part that I will carry with me throughout my life, no changing that, unfortunately. 

I think its high time I start treating you better, for my own peace of mind, not because you are going to change the way you interact with me.

Hence, I apologize.

I apologize for ignoring you, hating you, wishing you wouldn't exist (which I sometimes still do) and most importantly, for not communicating properly with you. 

To be fair, you didn't know how to properly get the message across to me because I never took the time to listen (I was too busy ignoring you)! 

No wonder you turned into this hypercritical buzz killing beast, because only then I actually acknowledged your existence. 

You must care so much for me that you turn yourself into a monster just so that I listen to what you have to say. You never really cared what I thought of you; you were just going on with your job of looking out for me (in the worst approach possible). 

Kind of makes you such a sweetheart, because I can see that you care a lot for me, deep down (and also, I give you this perspective because I don't want to hate something that is a part of me)

So, just like everyone wants to forget that 2020 ever happened and start 2021 afresh, I want to start all over with you. I want to listen to the subconscious wisdom that you have, hidden beneath those criticisms. 

I want to know how I can live my best life and have you, my inner critic, as my best friend. 

We have a long journey ahead of us, but at least I won't wish for you to disappear anymore :)

Yours Compassionately

Me 

Popular posts from this blog

I made it to the beginning

Lying for months inside fear and self doubt, crippled, Hoping for a saviour strong Praying for deliverance every second Not daring to make a move, in case it went wrong Day after day, as I lay low Watching my fears grow The thought of giving up inviting for me, who was tired and exhausted of fighting Why are there no answers to my cries of agony? If there is a God, where is He? If there is a universe, what is it doing? Am I delusional to pray so? thus escalated my brooding. At times, there came flickers of light Too small to enlighten but present Ecstatic I become on seeing such a sight And strength in my faith, escalating Suddenly, the surroundings all dark I feel pulled from all directions, tortured Layers of my being were being torn Though afraid, to the memories of that light I latched on A test to my faith, it seemed so As unimaginable pain and discomfort Taunted my mind, which thought It impossible to get respite from this incessant storm Suddenly...

Mantra Meditation - A Miraculous Journey

Wow its been a month (almost) from the last time I posted...!  I humbly apologize for my inconsistency in posting articles. Jumping into today's article, I'm here to share my experience with Mantra Meditation, which is so much more simpler than it sounds. for representational purposes only The basics, to my knowledge, is that one chooses a mantra/affirmation/prayer/verse that they believe strongly in (or are trying to believe in) and meditate on that by simply focusing all their energy in the process of chanting. The beauty is, this method is so simple and easy, requiring very little effort and can even be done purely by listening  to the chanting (though actually chanting it gives a much better feel). Now this chanting can be done by oneself or in a sangha (a community) and I highly recommend community chanting because: 1) It gives you motivation to repeat the process and make it an integral part of your routine 2) It gives you a sense of accountability because you feel obl...

A Message to All Hoomans

        One day an Alien came to Earth Expecting to find it full of joy & mirth But the scene that met its eyes Was worse than the shrill screeching of mice Everywhere it saw, men And women were fighting As to which one was greater Neither giving any logical evidence for citing Man said " I'm the greater one For I'm physically strong" Woman said " I'm the one who bears babies And therefore you are wrong" Man said  "I'm more courageous And that's a point for reckoning" Woman said " I'm your better half Without me you're nothing" Man said " I can do many things That you can never imagine to do" Woman said " I can too And hence, the same back at you" At this the alien wondered aloud "What's happening in this planet?! This is different from what my mom said In a childhood sonnet!" "I was told in school too That Earth was inhabited by humans Never did I know that there existed Two ...

Ads