Skip to main content

A story about Failure

What font is the Friends Logo – History | TURBOLOGO blog
Two poor friends, Sam and Sid were walking down the street when they noticed a poster announcing : "Open Talent Hunt - Showcase your Uniqueness, Get Rich!"

Sam felt pumped and immediately wanted to sign up for it. 

He asked Sid " C'mon man! Lets go for it!" 
Sid asked "What if we don't win?"
 
Sam replied sarcastically "Urm... we lose? Aw man so what if we lose, we get to have fun!"

Sid said "Hey we don't know who the judges are or what sort of talent they expect; and besides the competition is this weekend! We won't even be prepared well! I don't even think I have any talent"

Sam said " Fine, do as you please, I'm gonna sign up! "

Sam decided to sing his favorite song "Stitches" and Sid helped him prepare.

"Stitches" was a special song for Sam, because it was the one lasting memory he had of his mother, apart from her guitar, which she had given to him in her last days. Sam had been adopted since by Sid's father, and although the man loved his kids to bits, he was just another working class guy who could hardly make a square meal a day. Often, Sid and Sam would work odd jobs to help keep up the roof over their heads. Now though, the roof was in danger of flying off, given the intensity of Sam's voice and the tune of his well oiled guitar.

Many times over their short practice sessions, Sam's guitar strings would pop off unexpectedly and Sid would immediately fix them up, using his bare hands, without hurting his fingers over the wires! 

But during one of these sessions, the wires flew right off of the guitar and couldn't be fixed. And their lack of money or tools to fix the guitar stared right at their face.

Sid was determined to help his friend do his best, and so, he held the wires over the guitar with just the right amount of pressure such that Sam could still play on the guitar but Sid wasn't pressing the guitar against Sam's body.

Sid's agility, strength and uncanny deftness at stretching wires with his bare fingers without hurting himself increased dramatically to an extent where Sam and he could just play on as a team!

The weekend soon came for the contest. Sam felt nervous and was comforted by the chilled out Sid. Sid went to see the calling order on the notice board and stared in shock when he saw both of their names under one team! "Team Jammers: Sid and Sam"

He ran at once to Sam and saw him smiling wickedly at him. "Dude! How could you do this! What if you fail because of me! God! Who in their right mind would put me as their team member?! I'm useless dude! Okay I'm gonna ask the organizers to change it to just Sam!"

Sam, with the same wicked smile, told Sid, "Ahem.. you do realise that you're holding the guitar strings for me right?"

A terrified Sid was close to tears. He had no choice but to accompany Sam to the stage.

And they performed their extraordinary performance. 

File:Godthrust.JPG - Wikipedia

The audience and judges were over the moon! 
Never had they seen such a unique show! 
A guy singing with a broken guitar whose strings were held together by the bare hands of the other guy?!

Soon they announced the winners of the show and although The Jammers hadn't won, they got a special mention from the judges, who agreed to gift them a sizeable cheque and kindly offered to replace Sam's guitar with a new one.

Although he was happy to have gotten a prize amount, Sid felt terrible. He blamed himself for their failure to win and told Sam, "I'm so sorry I didn't ask the organisers to remove my name! I told ya we wouldn't win!"

Sam replied: "When we were on stage, did the crowd boo at us? Did the judges hate us? They didn't pick us because we were not the talent they expected! That doesn't mean that we aren't talented! 

We didn't fail or lose Sid! We won the moment you agreed to come with me on stage. We won over your fear of failure!"

And so they had😊

Quotes about Scared of failure (21 quotes)

Popular posts from this blog

A Message to All Hoomans

        One day an Alien came to Earth Expecting to find it full of joy & mirth But the scene that met its eyes Was worse than the shrill screeching of mice Everywhere it saw, men And women were fighting As to which one was greater Neither giving any logical evidence for citing Man said " I'm the greater one For I'm physically strong" Woman said " I'm the one who bears babies And therefore you are wrong" Man said  "I'm more courageous And that's a point for reckoning" Woman said " I'm your better half Without me you're nothing" Man said " I can do many things That you can never imagine to do" Woman said " I can too And hence, the same back at you" At this the alien wondered aloud "What's happening in this planet?! This is different from what my mom said In a childhood sonnet!" "I was told in school too That Earth was inhabited by humans Never did I know that there existed Two ...

Mantra Meditation - A Miraculous Journey

Wow its been a month (almost) from the last time I posted...!  I humbly apologize for my inconsistency in posting articles. Jumping into today's article, I'm here to share my experience with Mantra Meditation, which is so much more simpler than it sounds. for representational purposes only The basics, to my knowledge, is that one chooses a mantra/affirmation/prayer/verse that they believe strongly in (or are trying to believe in) and meditate on that by simply focusing all their energy in the process of chanting. The beauty is, this method is so simple and easy, requiring very little effort and can even be done purely by listening  to the chanting (though actually chanting it gives a much better feel). Now this chanting can be done by oneself or in a sangha (a community) and I highly recommend community chanting because: 1) It gives you motivation to repeat the process and make it an integral part of your routine 2) It gives you a sense of accountability because you feel obl...

I made it to the beginning

Lying for months inside fear and self doubt, crippled, Hoping for a saviour strong Praying for deliverance every second Not daring to make a move, in case it went wrong Day after day, as I lay low Watching my fears grow The thought of giving up inviting for me, who was tired and exhausted of fighting Why are there no answers to my cries of agony? If there is a God, where is He? If there is a universe, what is it doing? Am I delusional to pray so? thus escalated my brooding. At times, there came flickers of light Too small to enlighten but present Ecstatic I become on seeing such a sight And strength in my faith, escalating Suddenly, the surroundings all dark I feel pulled from all directions, tortured Layers of my being were being torn Though afraid, to the memories of that light I latched on A test to my faith, it seemed so As unimaginable pain and discomfort Taunted my mind, which thought It impossible to get respite from this incessant storm Suddenly...

Ads