Skip to main content

A story about Failure

What font is the Friends Logo – History | TURBOLOGO blog
Two poor friends, Sam and Sid were walking down the street when they noticed a poster announcing : "Open Talent Hunt - Showcase your Uniqueness, Get Rich!"

Sam felt pumped and immediately wanted to sign up for it. 

He asked Sid " C'mon man! Lets go for it!" 
Sid asked "What if we don't win?"
 
Sam replied sarcastically "Urm... we lose? Aw man so what if we lose, we get to have fun!"

Sid said "Hey we don't know who the judges are or what sort of talent they expect; and besides the competition is this weekend! We won't even be prepared well! I don't even think I have any talent"

Sam said " Fine, do as you please, I'm gonna sign up! "

Sam decided to sing his favorite song "Stitches" and Sid helped him prepare.

"Stitches" was a special song for Sam, because it was the one lasting memory he had of his mother, apart from her guitar, which she had given to him in her last days. Sam had been adopted since by Sid's father, and although the man loved his kids to bits, he was just another working class guy who could hardly make a square meal a day. Often, Sid and Sam would work odd jobs to help keep up the roof over their heads. Now though, the roof was in danger of flying off, given the intensity of Sam's voice and the tune of his well oiled guitar.

Many times over their short practice sessions, Sam's guitar strings would pop off unexpectedly and Sid would immediately fix them up, using his bare hands, without hurting his fingers over the wires! 

But during one of these sessions, the wires flew right off of the guitar and couldn't be fixed. And their lack of money or tools to fix the guitar stared right at their face.

Sid was determined to help his friend do his best, and so, he held the wires over the guitar with just the right amount of pressure such that Sam could still play on the guitar but Sid wasn't pressing the guitar against Sam's body.

Sid's agility, strength and uncanny deftness at stretching wires with his bare fingers without hurting himself increased dramatically to an extent where Sam and he could just play on as a team!

The weekend soon came for the contest. Sam felt nervous and was comforted by the chilled out Sid. Sid went to see the calling order on the notice board and stared in shock when he saw both of their names under one team! "Team Jammers: Sid and Sam"

He ran at once to Sam and saw him smiling wickedly at him. "Dude! How could you do this! What if you fail because of me! God! Who in their right mind would put me as their team member?! I'm useless dude! Okay I'm gonna ask the organizers to change it to just Sam!"

Sam, with the same wicked smile, told Sid, "Ahem.. you do realise that you're holding the guitar strings for me right?"

A terrified Sid was close to tears. He had no choice but to accompany Sam to the stage.

And they performed their extraordinary performance. 

File:Godthrust.JPG - Wikipedia

The audience and judges were over the moon! 
Never had they seen such a unique show! 
A guy singing with a broken guitar whose strings were held together by the bare hands of the other guy?!

Soon they announced the winners of the show and although The Jammers hadn't won, they got a special mention from the judges, who agreed to gift them a sizeable cheque and kindly offered to replace Sam's guitar with a new one.

Although he was happy to have gotten a prize amount, Sid felt terrible. He blamed himself for their failure to win and told Sam, "I'm so sorry I didn't ask the organisers to remove my name! I told ya we wouldn't win!"

Sam replied: "When we were on stage, did the crowd boo at us? Did the judges hate us? They didn't pick us because we were not the talent they expected! That doesn't mean that we aren't talented! 

We didn't fail or lose Sid! We won the moment you agreed to come with me on stage. We won over your fear of failure!"

And so they had😊

Quotes about Scared of failure (21 quotes)

Popular posts from this blog

A translation of Malargal Kaeten - A tribute to the Universe

(best experienced with music👆) Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Yedhai naan kaetpin.... What should I ask then... ...Aaaahhhhhh....Aaaahhhhhhh... Y edhai naan kaetpin  unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen.... Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen... Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Ga - Ga Ma Ga Ma - Ri Ma Ga

Insights from MBA - Work, Play, Tea and Everything in Between

It's 12:38 AM in my clock.  I'm on holidays.  Ideally I could be asleep. But I'm not. I honestly miss the life at campus, where, on a regular day, I'd be in a frenzied brainstorming session with my group mates, trying to squeeze our collective brain cells to come up with a presentation for the 8 AM lecture next day.  I've had plenty of ups and downs, surprises and disappointments, core memories and gut wrenching experiences in a bundle of mere 6 months with this course. Each day would be different in its challenges. Navigating everything  - new approaches to lectures, discussions, interpersonal relationships, the dynamic campus layout (it deserves a Marauder's Map), being boxed into a solo room, finding friends, finding yourself... the list goes on!! - and trying to stay afloat without nearing burnout is an achievement of its own. I was foolish enough to think I could glide through this with grace. I had accumulated so many useful mindsets, techniques, tools and

The Whispers of Pure Love - Nenjukul Peidhidum Translation

Headphones and ambient volume  recommended :) Play the song and enjoy the meaning Nenjukkul peidhidum maamazhai A gentle rainstorm in my heart Neerukul moozhgidum thaamarai A delicate lotus sinks in its waters Sattendru maarudhu vaanilai Suddenly the weather changes Penne un mel pizhai! Girl, it's all your fault! (that I feel all this when I think of you) Nillamal veesidum peralai Ceaseless waves (of love) crash (on me) Nenjukkul neenthidum thaaragai My sweetheart swims in my heart Pon vannam soodiya kaarigai A dazzling precious damsel Penne nee kaanchanai Girl you are golden Oh shaanthi shaanti oh shaanthi Oh Shanthi.. Yen uyirai uyirai neeyenthi You have taken away my heart Yen sendraai sendraai yennai thaandi Why did you cross over and beyond me? Ini neethan yenthan andhaathi Hereafter you alone are my beginning and ending Nenjukkul peidhidum maamazhai A gentle rainstorm in my heart Neerukul moozhgidum thaamarai A lotus sinking in its waters Sattendru maarudhu vaanilai Suddenly

Ads