Skip to main content

Understanding Depression

(I wrote this poem in December 2019 and I think it is a raw reflection of my thoughts then)

Standing atop a tall and cold mountain
Just watching your life pass by
So many urgent things to do, but uncertain
About your next step, you just sigh

What is the point of living this meaningless life
When you never get back what you give
When people remember you only for your usefulness
Never for your existence

Frustration, aggression and hormones running high
Wanting to do something to end the pain but feeling worn out,
You cry

Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be that happy, dependable person that you’ve always forever been
Conceal, don’t feel, 
don’t let anyone know
How could they know?

That you’re depressed, that you’re worn out
That you’re done with your fake façade
That all you want is a fresh new start
To be the authentic you

But you cant

Your imaginary fears gripping you tight
Making you wonder what is wrong and right
Will people accept you…will they approve
When you show your true colors?

What will they think when they know
That you are sometimes selfish, wanting the entire chocolate
That you sometimes hate socializing, wanting your peace
That you sometimes hate lectures and want to sleep?

Paralyzed by these fears, you hesitate to step out
Going deeper and deeper into that downward vortex
Finding comfort in self-pity and in saying “Im just depressed”
Falsely thinking that the entire world is against you

Finding fake happiness in victimizing yourself as a poor creature wronged by society

Life has one thing to tell you
LET GO

Let go of your fears
Let go of your tears

Grow a pair of wings to soar high
Or prepare a parachute to soften your fall

Embrace the unexpected twists and turns
Be brave enough to enjoy life

EVERYTHING YOU HAVE EVER DREAMED OF 
IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF FEAR

How do I know that? I don't.
I need you to trust me on this and let go.
Not recklessly, not blindly
But with conscious faith and belief



Note: 
Depression is a period of “deep rest” where you are forced to evaluate your choices and principles based on which you live your life, because your soul is warning you that the life you are living isn’t your true purpose. Embrace the experience of depression, taking it as a guide that will show you what truly makes you happy. This doesn’t mean that you find your purpose only after a period of depression (though it has been a historically proven fact); it is just one of the many ways through which we learn who we are and evolve into a kinder, happier version of ourselves.
 
Ummm. No?? : thanksimcured











Popular posts from this blog

A translation of Malargal Kaeten - A tribute to the Universe

(best experienced with music👆) Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Yedhai naan kaetpin.... What should I ask then... ...Aaaahhhhhh....Aaaahhhhhhh... Y edhai naan kaetpin  unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen.... Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen... Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Ga - Ga Ma Ga Ma - Ri Ma Ga

Insights from MBA - Work, Play, Tea and Everything in Between

It's 12:38 AM in my clock.  I'm on holidays.  Ideally I could be asleep. But I'm not. I honestly miss the life at campus, where, on a regular day, I'd be in a frenzied brainstorming session with my group mates, trying to squeeze our collective brain cells to come up with a presentation for the 8 AM lecture next day.  I've had plenty of ups and downs, surprises and disappointments, core memories and gut wrenching experiences in a bundle of mere 6 months with this course. Each day would be different in its challenges. Navigating everything  - new approaches to lectures, discussions, interpersonal relationships, the dynamic campus layout (it deserves a Marauder's Map), being boxed into a solo room, finding friends, finding yourself... the list goes on!! - and trying to stay afloat without nearing burnout is an achievement of its own. I was foolish enough to think I could glide through this with grace. I had accumulated so many useful mindsets, techniques, tools and

BYOV- Be Your Own Valentine

Greetings wanderer! I sure hope January 2021 has been a month of reflections, insights, celebrations and joy for you as it has been for me. I cannot believe the extent to which I have accelerated in my spiritual journey and I have my amazingly supportive and wonderfully open minded soul family to thank ( shout out to y'all! ) for being with me every step of the way. Alright, before you switch tabs or exit this page entirely (I promise it contains exactly what the title says... bear with me as you always lovingly do), I dive deep into today's topic (which has a lot to do with the preamble of this article) and announce to your ever supportive eyes that this year on, I am my own valentine (by choice)! Self Partnering is the new Single What do I mean by that?  I mean to say I have learnt to unconditionally accept and love the beautiful jumble of soul, spirit, mind, muscle and bones that forms me. I have promised to me that I'll nurture myself everyday and strive to transform al

Ads