Skip to main content

My First Internship Experience

After a lot of soul searching, shadow working and self renewal, I decided it was high time I headed back to the material world and renew my resume, which was sitting in the dark recesses of my laptop. 

This will never not be my all-time favourite gif. - GIF on Imgur
Me coming out of my cave
and exploring my surroundings


Finding online webinars and workshops to be too monotonous and one sided, I decided to try my hands at an online internship. After consulting my trusted friends, family and college officials, I applied for a summer internship provided at the IIChE website (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers), for which I got selected.

The orientation session was a breeze and I had no idea of what was coming up in the first day of the internship, which happened to be the day after the orientation. Gathering some basic info about the software I would be learning, I got ready for the first day (or so I thought).

The first day of the internship started and to say that I was left with gaping wide open eyes and mouth is an understatement; I was completely unprepared for the real deal and I felt terrified. 

yourreactiongifs terrified gif | WiffleGif
what have I got myself into...?

Within minutes, our respected and knowledgeable mentor had breezed through the basics of Auto CAD and had given us 2 in-class assignments to be submitted in a matter of minutes, over our 2 hour session.

Never in my life had I ever taken such active notes as I had done during those 2 hours. Never had I ever been so attentive (the fact that my mentor sometimes spoke in a language I could barely understand added to my curiosity of trying to extract the 'gyaan' he was expounding about Auto CAD, from the words he spoke). Never had I ever been in such a competitive batch where my fellow brains were working at supersonic speeds, while I was struggling to keep up.

Catch Up GIF - CatchUp - Discover & Share GIFs
I was probably the rock in a batch of sonics🤣

After our mentor was done reviewing our work (and repeatedly telling me that mine was incomplete), he wished us good bye and I heaved a sigh of relief as I logged off from my system. 

The fact that I had not quit or logged off in the middle of the session, though I very much wanted to, and had persevered in class with whatever I had understood, was a huge achievement for me.  

As I reflected on this unique experience, I started thinking....if this is how jobs would be from now on, as we venture slowly, safely and surely into a Corona-free world. 

No more take it easy desk jobs or relying on your dormant academic knowledge to get you placed in any enterprise. 

No more influences other than your speed, skill and expertise in your domain would land you a job, because our economies would require efficiency and hence would heavily prefer excellent quality of employees over influential recommendations.

No more workaholic culture, since physical, mental and emotional health would be factors to be taken into consideration, if you wanted happy, productive but limited number of employees.

Whether or not this would be the case scenario in the future, I had no clue. But I had enough clarity to know deeply that its definitely not a cakewalk out there. 

Continuously updating your knowledge in your fields of choice, practicing the necessary management and critical skills to implement a project that lands in your worthy hands and going after personal development and evolution, is what I think to be the way forward.

I am so grateful for my first day first hand experience that taught me so many lessons and I am excited to see what more I get to learn.

Cheers :)

Popular posts from this blog

Mantra Meditation - A Miraculous Journey

Wow its been a month (almost) from the last time I posted...!  I humbly apologize for my inconsistency in posting articles. Jumping into today's article, I'm here to share my experience with Mantra Meditation, which is so much more simpler than it sounds. for representational purposes only The basics, to my knowledge, is that one chooses a mantra/affirmation/prayer/verse that they believe strongly in (or are trying to believe in) and meditate on that by simply focusing all their energy in the process of chanting. The beauty is, this method is so simple and easy, requiring very little effort and can even be done purely by listening  to the chanting (though actually chanting it gives a much better feel). Now this chanting can be done by oneself or in a sangha (a community) and I highly recommend community chanting because: 1) It gives you motivation to repeat the process and make it an integral part of your routine 2) It gives you a sense of accountability because you feel obl...

I made it to the beginning

Lying for months inside fear and self doubt, crippled, Hoping for a saviour strong Praying for deliverance every second Not daring to make a move, in case it went wrong Day after day, as I lay low Watching my fears grow The thought of giving up inviting for me, who was tired and exhausted of fighting Why are there no answers to my cries of agony? If there is a God, where is He? If there is a universe, what is it doing? Am I delusional to pray so? thus escalated my brooding. At times, there came flickers of light Too small to enlighten but present Ecstatic I become on seeing such a sight And strength in my faith, escalating Suddenly, the surroundings all dark I feel pulled from all directions, tortured Layers of my being were being torn Though afraid, to the memories of that light I latched on A test to my faith, it seemed so As unimaginable pain and discomfort Taunted my mind, which thought It impossible to get respite from this incessant storm Suddenly...

A Message to All Hoomans

        One day an Alien came to Earth Expecting to find it full of joy & mirth But the scene that met its eyes Was worse than the shrill screeching of mice Everywhere it saw, men And women were fighting As to which one was greater Neither giving any logical evidence for citing Man said " I'm the greater one For I'm physically strong" Woman said " I'm the one who bears babies And therefore you are wrong" Man said  "I'm more courageous And that's a point for reckoning" Woman said " I'm your better half Without me you're nothing" Man said " I can do many things That you can never imagine to do" Woman said " I can too And hence, the same back at you" At this the alien wondered aloud "What's happening in this planet?! This is different from what my mom said In a childhood sonnet!" "I was told in school too That Earth was inhabited by humans Never did I know that there existed Two ...

Ads