Skip to main content

My First Internship Experience

After a lot of soul searching, shadow working and self renewal, I decided it was high time I headed back to the material world and renew my resume, which was sitting in the dark recesses of my laptop. 

This will never not be my all-time favourite gif. - GIF on Imgur
Me coming out of my cave
and exploring my surroundings


Finding online webinars and workshops to be too monotonous and one sided, I decided to try my hands at an online internship. After consulting my trusted friends, family and college officials, I applied for a summer internship provided at the IIChE website (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers), for which I got selected.

The orientation session was a breeze and I had no idea of what was coming up in the first day of the internship, which happened to be the day after the orientation. Gathering some basic info about the software I would be learning, I got ready for the first day (or so I thought).

The first day of the internship started and to say that I was left with gaping wide open eyes and mouth is an understatement; I was completely unprepared for the real deal and I felt terrified

yourreactiongifs terrified gif | WiffleGif
what have I got myself into...?

Within minutes, our respected and knowledgeable mentor had breezed through the basics of Auto CAD and had given us 2 in-class assignments to be submitted in a matter of minutes, over our 2 hour session.

Never in my life had I ever taken such active notes as I had done during those 2 hours. Never had I ever been so attentive (the fact that my mentor sometimes spoke in a language I could barely understand added to my curiosity of trying to extract the 'gyaan' he was expounding about Auto CAD, from the words he spoke). Never had I ever been in such a competitive batch where my fellow brains were working at supersonic speeds, while I was struggling to keep up.

Catch Up GIF - CatchUp - Discover & Share GIFs
I was probably the rock in a batch of sonics🤣

After our mentor was done reviewing our work (and repeatedly telling me that mine was incomplete), he wished us good bye and I heaved a sigh of relief as I logged off from my system. 

The fact that I had not quit or logged off in the middle of the session, though I very much wanted to, and had persevered in class with whatever I had understood, was a huge achievement for me.  

As I reflected on this unique experience, I started thinking....if this is how jobs would be from now on, as we venture slowly, safely and surely into a Corona-free world. 

No more take it easy desk jobs or relying on your dormant academic knowledge to get you placed in any enterprise. 

No more influences other than your speed, skill and expertise in your domain would land you a job, because our economies would require efficiency and hence would heavily prefer excellent quality of employees over influential recommendations.

No more workaholic culture, since physical, mental and emotional health would be factors to be taken into consideration, if you wanted happy, productive but limited number of employees.

Whether or not this would be the case scenario in the future, I had no clue. But I had enough clarity to know deeply that its definitely not a cakewalk out there. 

Continuously updating your knowledge in your fields of choice, practicing the necessary management and critical skills to implement a project that lands in your worthy hands and going after personal development and evolution, is what I think to be the way forward.

I am so grateful for my first day first hand experience that taught me so many lessons and I am excited to see what more I get to learn.

Cheers :)

Popular posts from this blog

A translation of Malargal Kaeten - A tribute to the Universe

(best experienced with music👆) Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Yedhai naan kaetpin.... What should I ask then... ...Aaaahhhhhh....Aaaahhhhhhh... Y edhai naan kaetpin  unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen.... Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen... Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Ga - Ga Ma Ga Ma - Ri Ma Ga

Insights from MBA - Work, Play, Tea and Everything in Between

It's 12:38 AM in my clock.  I'm on holidays.  Ideally I could be asleep. But I'm not. I honestly miss the life at campus, where, on a regular day, I'd be in a frenzied brainstorming session with my group mates, trying to squeeze our collective brain cells to come up with a presentation for the 8 AM lecture next day.  I've had plenty of ups and downs, surprises and disappointments, core memories and gut wrenching experiences in a bundle of mere 6 months with this course. Each day would be different in its challenges. Navigating everything  - new approaches to lectures, discussions, interpersonal relationships, the dynamic campus layout (it deserves a Marauder's Map), being boxed into a solo room, finding friends, finding yourself... the list goes on!! - and trying to stay afloat without nearing burnout is an achievement of its own. I was foolish enough to think I could glide through this with grace. I had accumulated so many useful mindsets, techniques, tools and

BYOV- Be Your Own Valentine

Greetings wanderer! I sure hope January 2021 has been a month of reflections, insights, celebrations and joy for you as it has been for me. I cannot believe the extent to which I have accelerated in my spiritual journey and I have my amazingly supportive and wonderfully open minded soul family to thank ( shout out to y'all! ) for being with me every step of the way. Alright, before you switch tabs or exit this page entirely (I promise it contains exactly what the title says... bear with me as you always lovingly do), I dive deep into today's topic (which has a lot to do with the preamble of this article) and announce to your ever supportive eyes that this year on, I am my own valentine (by choice)! Self Partnering is the new Single What do I mean by that?  I mean to say I have learnt to unconditionally accept and love the beautiful jumble of soul, spirit, mind, muscle and bones that forms me. I have promised to me that I'll nurture myself everyday and strive to transform al

Ads