Skip to main content

Mahendra Singh Bahubali

The Legend

Hello dear Readers!!!

We’ve finished yet another month of the year 2k21, probably without knowing how it went by (because of the lockdown and the pandemic, of course), and have entered the month that is the first to represent double digits!!! I, personally, am super excited for this month, the reason being the fact that I’m a HUGE cricket fanatic (Read the Editor’s bio to get clarity *wink*)


So, why should I get excited in terms of cricket because it’s October?


It’s because of 2 marquee cricketing events that are happening / will be happening in this month and the next – the Indian Premier League and the ICC World T20. Having these 2 events back to back doesn’t only mean almost 60 days of non – stop T20 action; it also means we get to see a brilliant mastermind in live action on the cricket field – a phenomenon known to Chennai Super Kings fans as Thala Dharisanam (Sighting of the Cricket God) – the presence of Mahendra Singh Dhoni on the ground!!!

 

As our dear Author had expressed on 16th August 2020, post the legend’s retirement, the only way to see him back in action was as Thala, the forever Captain of the Chennai Super Kings. However, the man who shocked us with his sudden retirement also gave us a pleasant surprise before the start of the IPL’s second leg at the UAE. It was announced that M S Dhoni would be a part of the Indian Cricket Team for the World T20 as a Mentor, giving us fans an opportunity to see him back in Indian colours, though not as a player.


In this season’s IPL, we all have seen that Mahi’s form with the bat has gone down considerably, and quite understandably, despite having hit a match winning six. Yet, this stalwart remains one of the most valuable players for the team, and everyone is still scared of his team. Why is this?


It’s because of his brains. He has been the Captain of CSK ever since the inception of IPL, and his tactical acumen has only grown over the years. Despite him being a shade of his former self with the bat, his mere presence on field as a Captain is enough to strike fear in the hearts of opponents. And it is because of this wonderful cricketing brain that he has that he has been called up as the Mentor for the Indian Cricket Team (This sentence has no mistakes).


So what is it that Dhoni does? Is he a magician? Or is he a normal human who knows how to use his brains to its fullest potential? Let’s try finding out.


We all address him as Captain Cool. For good reason, I must say. He’s been at both extremes of the game. As the Captain of the defending team, he has ensured that his team has won when the opponent had 2 runs to get in 3 balls. As the Captain of the chasing team, he has seen his team through with his batting prowess when 18 runs were required off the last 3. In both these conditions, we’ve never seen him get tense , frustrated or angry. Instead, he presents such a calm demeanour, while at the same time putting his exceptionally astute brain to work. Here, he teaches us a lesson. Let’s try extrapolating the above said cricketing situations to real life. 


At times, things may seem quite impossible in our day to day lives. Try imagining having 3 whole new chapters to study on the eve of a super important exam. Definitely sounds impossible. But, everything is worth a try, especially if we put our brain to good use! Yes of course, success isn’t guaranteed. Even MS has lost a few matches as Captain. So one might not be able to score a centum in the exam. But, trying to use the brain fully in order to obtain a pass mark is definitely worth it, and it’s definitely possible even in an overnight study (I’m not recommending studying just before the exam. It’s an example of a critical situation. That’s all *lol*).


So when we face such critical situations, or at times, face the need to take crucial decisions, we shouldn’t ponder upon what we’ve done in the past, or what consequences might come in the future. At that moment, we need to do what is right, by using our intelligence in a proper manner. Let’s illustrate using Mahi. 


In the last over of the 2007 World T20 Final, Pakistan’s Misbah ul Haq was on strike, and they needed 13 runs from 6 balls with 1 wicket in hand. Dhoni had 2 bowling options – Joginder Sharma and Harbhajan Singh. Harbhajan was the better bowler on any given day, and Joginder had gone for runs in his previous overs. But, MS didn’t think about that (the past). He knew that Misbah plays spin better, and so, he gave the last over to Joginder Sharma, without worrying if he would leak runs (the future). He analyzed the current situation and acted accordingly, and his actions bore their results!!! Joginder did indeed get Misbah out, and we won the inaugural World T20.


Like this, at any given point of time, we should try and have a clear head, analyze things in a calm manner and make our moves according to the situation, just like a batsman plays the field. By now, I think my frequent repetition of the word ‘calm’ when I speak about Dhoni is quite evident. And rightly so, since he has one of the coolest heads in the world. But, does a calm demeanor mean absence of anger? Does it mean that we should never get angry in our lives?


Definitely not. Anger against injustice is a right thing to do, and any human being would react like that. Even MSD.


In a match between Rajasthan Royals and CSK in 2019, we were in a very crucial stage when the bowler bowled an over – waist no ball to Ravindra Jadeja. The main umpire, without consulting the leg umpire for the height, raised his hand to indicate a no ball, and later repealed it seeing no indication from the leg umpire. However, by rules of cricket, once the main umpire has given a decision (apart from a decision regarding dismissals), it can’t be reversed just like that. And on top of this, the ball was indeed high, and should have been given a no ball. All this fiasco enraged MS, who was in the dugout, and, violating the rules of the game himself, he stormed onto the field and had a heated debate with the on field umpires before seeing his team soar to victory (the no ball was not given, and Dhoni was fined for his violation of the rules, while the on field umpires got away with their lapse).

Justice is served

So, a calm and clear mind isn’t defined by the absence of anger in it. We do have to react to the situation as it demands. And that’s what’s defined as good use of the brain. Now we all know how well MSD uses his brain to his fullest, and ensures that his smart and tactical moves can rival the problems posed to him by his opposition. On a similar basis, we too can win over the challenges life poses to us by using our wits, and MS teaches us exactly that through his cricketing as well as non – cricketing life. In a sense, he is a Mentor for everyone.


So, what sort of a superhuman is MSD? He isn’t a magician. He’s a normal human being with an ordinary mind (like all of us) but is extraordinary when it comes to using it. In a sense, he has made his mind work like that of a monk (Those who've read Think Like A Monk by Jay Shetty can surely relate). And if he has become one of the unparalleled legends in the history of cricket and humankind by doing so, I’m quite sure we all can at least unlock our potential by a similar usage of a certain dormant gray matter housed in our skulls. 


With that, let’s all have a cheerful October (especially since CSK has qualified to the Playoffs *wink*).


Until next time,

The Editor,

Subrahmanyam B R

 


No, he is not a monk, just kidding



Popular posts from this blog

A translation of Malargal Kaeten - A tribute to the Universe

(best experienced with music👆) Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Yedhai naan kaetpin.... What should I ask then... ...Aaaahhhhhh....Aaaahhhhhhh... Y edhai naan kaetpin  unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Malargal Kaettaen Vanamae Thanthanai Flowers I asked, A flowering garden you gave Thanneer Kaettaen Amirtham Thanthanai Water I asked, Nectar you gave Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen.... Malargal Kaettaen... Malargal Kaettaen... Yedhai naan kaetpin unaiyae tharuvaai ....? What should I ask then, for you to give yourself (to me)....? Ga - Ga Ma Ga Ma - Ri Ma Ga

Insights from MBA - Work, Play, Tea and Everything in Between

It's 12:38 AM in my clock.  I'm on holidays.  Ideally I could be asleep. But I'm not. I honestly miss the life at campus, where, on a regular day, I'd be in a frenzied brainstorming session with my group mates, trying to squeeze our collective brain cells to come up with a presentation for the 8 AM lecture next day.  I've had plenty of ups and downs, surprises and disappointments, core memories and gut wrenching experiences in a bundle of mere 6 months with this course. Each day would be different in its challenges. Navigating everything  - new approaches to lectures, discussions, interpersonal relationships, the dynamic campus layout (it deserves a Marauder's Map), being boxed into a solo room, finding friends, finding yourself... the list goes on!! - and trying to stay afloat without nearing burnout is an achievement of its own. I was foolish enough to think I could glide through this with grace. I had accumulated so many useful mindsets, techniques, tools and

BYOV- Be Your Own Valentine

Greetings wanderer! I sure hope January 2021 has been a month of reflections, insights, celebrations and joy for you as it has been for me. I cannot believe the extent to which I have accelerated in my spiritual journey and I have my amazingly supportive and wonderfully open minded soul family to thank ( shout out to y'all! ) for being with me every step of the way. Alright, before you switch tabs or exit this page entirely (I promise it contains exactly what the title says... bear with me as you always lovingly do), I dive deep into today's topic (which has a lot to do with the preamble of this article) and announce to your ever supportive eyes that this year on, I am my own valentine (by choice)! Self Partnering is the new Single What do I mean by that?  I mean to say I have learnt to unconditionally accept and love the beautiful jumble of soul, spirit, mind, muscle and bones that forms me. I have promised to me that I'll nurture myself everyday and strive to transform al

Ads